Friday, August 9, 2013

Easy and Inexpensive DIY Dot Dabbers



I tried to hold out as long as I could.  Yes, they're neat... but I am stingy and the price for Do-A-Dot markers is, in my opinion, ridiculous.  But the kids love them, and honestly I do too.

So I turned to Pinterest for inspiration (of course) and came up with these dot dabbers. 


I bought two packs of 3 travel size bottles (for shampoo and soap and such) and round makeup sponges. And set to work.


I filled the bottles about 1/3 of the way with paint, and not quite to the top with water.  What you see in the picture above is probably a little too much water.  It works, but it takes some trial and error to get the consistency paint you prefer.

Hold a round sponge over the top and secure with rubber bands.  Depending on size I used 2 or 3 bands per bottle.



A few gentle squeezes to pump the paint through the sponge... and dab away.



Aren't they so pretty!?

I do believe the kids enjoyed them.  Of course choosing colored paper wasn't the best, but I wasn't about to fight with them.  They did accept lighter paper once they realized their colors weren't popping.  








If you see this face:


Be prepared for your dabber to be slammed on the paper so hard the sponge rips.


Thank goodness for extra sponges.

They aren't as durable as Do-A-Dot markers, but they are a fraction of the price... sounds good to me!


I'm keeping them in a ziploc to prevent spills and hopefully prevent the sponge from drying out.  One post I found removed the sponges and rinsed them after each use so she could cap them.  I guess I'm lazy, but call that plan B.


Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant! I will do this. I'm like you...I hate paying money for stuff that is obviously worth less than the price tag!

    ReplyDelete