Sunday, August 5, 2012

Week 2 - Dinosaurs

Now that we've made it to Dinosaur week...I'm afraid Big Boy has realized he loves farm animals.

The entire week we were doing farm animals he wanted to read about Dinosaurs.  But Sunday, given the choice to go to the 4H fair to cap off our farm animal unit, or to the Dinosaur State Park to kick off our dino unit... he chose 4H.  Well, what can ya do?

I'm kind of bummed that I wasn't thinking and planned this unit for now- we are leaving for the Jersey Shore on Saturday, and because of my oversight we are going to have to postpone or dinosaur field trips.  I'm hoping we can squeeze them in during the week, but we'll see how it goes.

Our sensory bins for the week:

I took the rotini pasta out of Little Man's bin for this week.  The pasta starts off large enough to be safe (under supervision) for my 10 month old learner, but it breaks into little pieces when he bangs it around... not so safe.

I left in the linking letters for his little fingers to grasp, and added dinosaur shapes.  I cut these shapes onto card stock paper from my Cricut to use for Big Boy's collage making.  For Little Man's bin I traced those shapes on to foam sheets and cut them out to make what you see here.  Soft, squeezable, foldable... He should have fun going nuts with those! 


Big Boy's bin is filled with sand, toy dinosaurs, a dinosaur egg we will "hatch" in water, paintbrushes for "excavating," a cup and sifter for scooping and pouring, and rocks.  I am also adding dinosaur bones, which are pieces from model dinosaur skeletons I found at AC Moore for $.60 each.  I painted the small wood pieces white to look more like bones.  There are only three pieces to one and four to the other, which I labeled with either a "b" for brachiosaurus, or an "s" for stegosaurus.  I will show him how to put them together, and if I know my boy he will take them apart and reassemble them over and over.




Our books for this week:


Oh My, Oh My Dinosaurs! - Sandra Boynton
Dinos to Go - Sandra Boynton
Dinosaurs - Byron Barton
Meet the Dinosaurs -  DK Readers
Dancing Dinos go to School - Sally Lucas
Oh Say, Can You Say Di-no-saur? - Bonnie Worth
How do Dinosaurs Say Happy Birthday? - Yolen & Teague
How do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food? - Yolen & Teague
How do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon? - Yolen & Teague
How do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight? - Yolen & Teague
My Big Dinosaur Book - Roger Priddy
My First Jumbo Book of Dinosaurs - Diaz & Gerth

I also plan on looking for Dinosaur Tracks by Kathleen Zoenfeld at our library.


Our Math Worksheets for the week:

Using a google image search, I pulled together coloring pages of dinosaurs to make a counting worksheet and a size comparison worksheet.  They are available to download via 4shared.com.  Feel free to print and use them four your own dino lovers.


 


If you are interested in the other activities I have planned, my lesson plan for the week is also available to download, (though already I know some things that will be changed on there, and I made this before I took out so many dino books from the library, so they aren't all included).

3 comments:

  1. I love the dinosaur theme. Such great materials, too. I'm going to have to do a dinosaur sensory bin. My kids will love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, and thanks for visiting www.ahappysong.com. I'm following back. It looks like you're sharing a lot of great ideas. Thanks!

      (sorry I deleted my last comment.)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! the bin is a hit! definitely give it a go!

    ReplyDelete