Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Field Trip

I forgot that we are going down to the Jersey Shore this weekend, so our Saturday field trip had to be squeezed in during the week.

We set up a last minute play date / field trip with some friends we haven't seen in a very long time.  We checked out Yale's Peabody Museum... local, small and inexpensive.  It was actually much nicer than I remembered it being (the only other time I was there was when I was working as a job coach for adults with MMR, and the client I had with me that day was only interested in talking about Pontius Pilot, so that limited my enjoyment of the museum).

Big Boy was very excited to find a path of dino prints leading up to the museum entrance.  He even tried matching the stride.  I almost started to tell him how we can guess how tall the dinosaur was by the length of the stride, but I figured that lesson might be over his head at two and a half years old.  I'll just put that in my pocket for later.




Did we learn a lot of new things?  Not really.  We didn't exactly stop to read any plaques or labels.  But we had a great time looking at the different bones of the different dinosaurs and early mammals.  It was very exciting to see the big sharp teeth, the long pointy claws, the big bony plates, et cetera, et cetera. It was a great way to show them what exactly we mean when we talk about digging for dinosaur bones and fossils, and demonstrating just how big is big when we talk about a T-Rex.

The other exhibits there were neat too.  The kids had a blast in the discovery room which had lots to see and feel.  Considering how young all the kids were (the oldest being 4, the youngest 10 months), they all did really well soaking in as much as they are able to as early learners.



No comments:

Post a Comment